Vietnam is considered one of the leading countries in terms of gourmet appeal. Gastro-tourism in this direction will definitely make you wonder if European cuisine is bland. Traditional Vietnamese dishes cause fireworks of tastes, help to touch at least a little the originality and color of the culture of this people.
Key features of Vietnamese cuisine
- Exotic flavor. Sweetness, spice, a combination of sourness and "hot" peppery notes, the aroma of the traditional fish sauce "Nuoc Mam", which is unusual for European users, and the dipping seasoning on its basis "Nuoc Cham" guarantee that unforgettable taste of "umami" which is hunted by the visitors of the Far East.
- Diversity on a few basic ingredients. Rice and noodles form the basis of all dishes, only in different variations (in soups, as a side dish, as a base with different additions, as a dessert).
- Zonal delimitation. The national cuisine of Vietnam in the northern, central, southern regions is strikingly different. This was facilitated by the influence of the cultures of adjacent peoples, colonialists.
- The healthiest cuisine. Vietnamese dishes are a balanced ratio of protein (meat, fish, seafood, legumes), selective use of spices and an emphasis on fresh herbs, vegetables, fruits. Fresh ingredients prevail over processed ones, oil and dairy products are used to a minimum. The food is almost gluten-free, because instead of wheat flour, rice is used everywhere (rice paper, rice noodles, rice flour for pancakes).
- An abundance of spices. One dish can contain more than 15 types of spices and seasonings. But their tandem is so calibrated that the saturation does not feel intrusive.
- Harmony of textures: tenderness and roughness, crispness and softness, juiciness and density.
Kaleidoscope of tastes
Vietnamese cuisine, the features of which can only be felt by the taste buds, is only preserved original and unique in the northern region. Due to historical and territorial background, the menu of the southern part of the country combines Chinese, Thai, Indian and even French dishes.
The borrowing of culinary preferences is seen in the choice of ingredients:
- young bamboo shoots, ginger roots, soy sauce - a fleur of Chinese recipes;
- fragrant mint, lemongrass, coriander, cinnamon - from them the national food of Vietnam gets French notes;
- a mixture of lemongrass and coconuts is a typical combination of Asian cuisine. In Cambodia, India, Thailand, Indonesia, this combination is age old.
Vietnamese food is aimed at using the 5 basic human senses - contemplation (richness of colors, special arrangement of the components of the dish), smell (aromatic ingredients), taste (5 spices are always felt), hearing (crispy crust from fried rolls, for example), and if you eat with your hands, tactile sensations are also added.
More details about the national dishes of Vietnam
Each region has its own characteristics of Vietnamese cuisine. 3 zones stand out vividly:
- North Vietnam is known for its rigor and tradition in the choice of ingredients, seasonings and spices. Popular delicacies are Pho, and Xoi, and Com (steamed sticky rice and fried, respectively), Nem (rolls of rice thin dough with filling), clear broth Bún riêu (served with rice noodles, minced crab meat, snails or fish). From Hanoi, rice noodles came to the central and southern region with additions: grilled marinated pork "Bun cha", chicken "pho gà", fried fish "chả cá Lã Vọng". They prefer less spicy dishes that have a balanced and light taste.
- Central Vietnam is characterized by spicy dishes, the presentation of which is comparable to artistic skill. Exquisite treats that consist of many complex dishes - soup "bún bò" (Bun bo) with cylindrical thick rice noodles, beef, lemongrass, Bánh khoai mì - cassava and coconut cake.
- The southern region developed under the influence of the cultures of the French colonists and Chinese immigrants. This is how the first fast foods “Banh-mi” (baguette with various fillings of liver, meat, vegetables), “Banh-cuon”, “Nem” (rolls from rice thin dough with filling) appeared. Traditional Vietnamese dishes of the coastal area are full of seafood. The most popular solution is Bún mắm fermented soup.
It is easy to get unforgettable emotions from the richness of the taste of such delicacies even in Ukraine. You can try Vietnamese cuisine right in Kiev at the Nem restaurant in the Lavina Mall. Our NEM delivery service will help you with this. Experienced chefs prepare the most popular national dishes of Vietnam using special technologies, they know all the secrets of revealing aromas and processing techniques. Your reviews will definitely be positive, and your emotions will be unforgettable!